DiGiovanni Future Teacher Scholarship Fund Guidelines
The Phil DiGiovanni Future Teacher Scholarship of the Connecticut Education Foundation shall serve the following purposes:
- To assist and encourage highly-qualified students to enter the teaching profession.
- To memorialize the contributions and service of Phil DiGiovanni to the CEA and the teaching profession.
- To offer a benefit to CEA members and CEA staff members.
- At least one scholarship of $1000 amount will be awarded annually to a qualified candidate.
Scholarship grants will be sent directly to the awardees. All applicants will be notified of the status of their application by June 15.
Recipients will receive notification by certified or registered mail.
Send all completed forms by mail to the following address:
At least one parent or legal guardian must be a current member of the Connecticut Education Association or a currently
employed CEA staff member. (Active, retired or, reserved).
The applicant must be a full time undergraduate student currently enrolled in a college or university having completed at
least three full semesters within the last two years.
- The applicant must indicate his/her intention to enter the teaching profession.
The primary criteria used to select recipients will include academic achievement, interest in teaching as a career,
leadership roles, community activities, volunteer experience, written expression, references and financial need.
- Applicants may reapply in successive years.
- CEA student members are not eligible unless they meet the other qualification criteria.
- Graduate students are not eligible.
- Applicants must have completed at least one and one-half year of study.
- Applicants do not need to supply evidence of acceptance into the teacher preparation program.
References must be submitted on the reference forms. The Personal Reference Form should be given to someone who knows
the applicant personally. The Professional Reference Form should be given to someone familiar with the applicant's academic
abilities (i.e., high school teacher or counselor, college professor or advisor). Only two references will be accepted.
- Completed applications must be postmarked on or before May 1.
Contact Jeff Leake, CEF President
Phone 800-842-4316 or 860-525-5641