In the final weeks of the legislative session, Connecticut lawmakers are considering a bill that would make classrooms safer. For the bill to pass, legislators need to hear from teachers now.
Tell your lawmakers what’s really happening in your classrooms and why the Classroom Safety Bill 7110 is vital for all students. Urge them to pass the bill to
- Protect teachers and students
- Provide much-needed support to students with behavioral issues
- Address children’s mental health and social-emotional needs
Key Points to Consider:
- Aggressive behavior is increasing, especially among children in early grades.
- Incidents cause disruption in learning and risk the safety of other students and educators in the classroom.
- Teachers need help and support in order to meet the needs of students whose actions are a cry for help.
- Incidents should not be swept under the rug; they should be addressed.
- Ignoring behavioral issues in school now increases the risk of those students becoming involved with the criminal justice system later on.
Legislators know that teachers are voters and that they are watching. Your emails and phone calls remind them that their decisions in Hartford affect public school classrooms throughout the state.