Some of the most memorable images from 2018 are those of teachers—in numbers, and in red—converging on state capitols around the country to bring public attention to the chronic underfunding and deprioritizing of public education that shortchanges teachers and students.
The #RedForEd movement, with its focus on prioritizing public education and valuing teachers and children, has succeeded on many levels, including
- Raising public awareness of inadequate teacher salaries and/or pay raises
- Exposing the unfair choices that highly educated teachers face—including working multiple jobs or leaving their profession—to make ends meet
- Fighting back against low per-pupil funding and dwindling resources
- Galvanizing public support for better classroom conditions, teacher pay, and school funding
- Strengthening support for teachers unions and solidarity within those unions
While Connecticut has a strong union and, as a result, some of the highest teacher salaries in the nation, the #RedForEd movement has taken root here nonetheless. Teachers throughout the state have come together in their red shirts to show strength in numbers at the negotiating table; in the fight against dangerous public education funding cuts and school closures; and in the push for safe and healthy classroom environments.
Show that you and your colleagues are part of this vital movement. Order customizable #RedForEd T-shirts spotlighting your local association and show your solidarity at schoolwide, district-level, and public events.