Nearly half of all children and adolescents in the U.S. have experienced at least one type of childhood trauma. About one in every four will witness or experience a traumatic event before their fourth birthday.
These are sobering statistics, made even worse by the collective trauma of the COVID pandemic.
CEA’s Ethnic Minority Affairs Commission invites all teachers to their free workshop Trauma Today: Future Strategies for You & Your Students. The training, which takes place on Tuesday, April 27, 6-9 p.m., covers the following and more:
- How childhood trauma impacts children and adolescents
- How symptoms manifest in the classroom
- Ways the pandemic has impacted youth and adults
- Techniques for creating a trauma-sensitive virtual or in-person classroom
- Self-care strategies that benefit you and those around you
Leading the training is Dr. Viana Turcios-Cotto, a licensed clinical psychologist who specializes in trauma. A former Manchester elementary school teacher and EMAC member, Dr. Turcios-Cotto earned her B.A. in psychological and brain sciences and elementary teacher certification at Dartmouth College and her Ed.M. in human development and psychology at the Harvard Graduate School of Education.