Based on a survey done in the fall, the Connecticut State Department of Education every year releases the Certification Shortage Areas for the coming year.
The designated shortage areas for 2022-23 are as follows:
- Bilingual Education, preK-12
- Mathematics, 4-12
- Special Education, preK-12*
- School Library and Media Specialist, preK-12**
- School Psychologist, prek-12
- Science, 4-12
- Speech and Language Pathologist, preK-12
- Technology Education, preK-12**
- Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL), preK-12
- World Languages, 7-12
* The Special Education shortage area designation comprises Partially Sighted, Deaf/Hard of Hearing, Blind, and Comprehensive Special Education teaching endorsement codes.
** These certifications are shortage areas in Alliance Districts only. The Alliance District program is a unique and targeted investment in Connecticut’s 33 lowest-performing districts. Click here for a list of Alliance Districts.