Based on a survey done in the fall, the state Department of Education has now released the Certification Shortage Areas for 2016-17. Most of the shortage areas remain the same as they did in 2015-16, however, for the coming year, teaching English to speakers of other languages was not identified as a shortage area, while school psychologist was added to the list.
The designated shortage areas for 2016-17 are as follows:
- Bilingual Education, PK-12;
- Comprehensive Special Education, K-12;
- Intermediate Administrator;
- Mathematics, 7-12;
- School Library and Media Specialist;
- School Psychologist;
- Science, 7-12;
- Speech and Language Pathologist;
- Technology Education, PK-12; and
- World Languages, 7-12.