Based on a survey done in the fall, the state Department of Education released the Certification Shortage Areas for 2017-18.
Most of the shortage areas remain the same as they did in 2016-17, however, for the coming year, teaching English to speakers of other languages and teaching occupational subject areas at vocational technical high schools were added as shortage areas. School psychologist and intermediate administrator were removed from the list.
The designated shortage areas for 2017-18 are as follows:
- Bilingual Education, PK-12;
- Comprehensive Special Education, K-12;
- Mathematics, 7-12;
- Occupational Subject, Vocational Technical High School;
- School Library and Media Specialist;
- Science, 7-12;
- Speech and Language Pathologist;
- Technology Education, PK-12;
- TESOL, PK-12; and
- World Languages, 7-12.