Address teaching shortages, improve recruitment and retention, and grow the teaching profession
- Enhance Teachers’ Salaries and make them commensurate with professions with similar levels of
education and training.
- Provide Tuition Assistance to students pursuing teaching degrees and teachers pursuing master’s
- Enact Meaningful Teacher Evaluation that supports professional growth.
- Provide COVID-19 Retirement Credit to acknowledge teachers’ role in providing quality education
through the pandemic.
- Ensure Fairness in the Workplace by improving binding arbitration in contract negotiations and
due process for matters relating to workplace discipline.
Improve the education experience for teachers and students
- Promote Play-Based Learning by requiring free play, guided play, and games be incorporated into
preK and kindergarten throughout the school day and by permitting teachers to use play-based
strategies in first through fifth grade classrooms.
- Reduce Standardized Testing by addressing the impact of excessive standardized testing and
promoting innovative alternatives.
- Reduce Class Sizes through incentives to help school districts improve teacher to student ratios.
- Guarantee Prep Time by ensuring self-directed, duty-free prep time for all teachers.
- Support English Language Learning by increasing resources for English learners and bilingual
- Raise Kindergarten Start Age by requiring children attending kindergarten to be at least 5 years
old by Sept. 1, rather than Jan. 1.
- Prevent Dual Instruction by maintaining, and if necessary, strengthening the prohibition on all
dual teaching, a method of instruction which requires teachers to instruct in-person and online at
the same time.
- Address Children’s Mental Health by maintaining, and if possible, increasing state support for
resources and certified staff.
Ensure safe air quality and temperature conditions
- Establish Indoor Temperature & Humidity Standards
- Ensure School Indoor Air Quality Enforcement and Oversight
- Provide Long-Term Facility Investment to assist municipalities with proper school HVAC
maintenance and installations in addition to other critical facilities improvements.