Based on a survey done in the fall, the State Department of Education every year releases the Certification Shortage Areas for the coming year.
The designated shortage areas for 2021-22 are as follows:
- Bilingual Education, PreK-12, Statewide
- Mathematics, 4-12, Statewide
- Special Education*, PreK-12, Statewide
- School Library and Media Specialist, PreK-12, Alliance Districts only**
- School Psychologist, PreK-12, Statewide
- Science, 4-12, Statewide
- Speech and Language Pathologist, PreK-12, Statewide
- Technology Education, PreK-12, Alliance Districts only**
- Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL), PreK-12, Statewide
- World Languages, 7-12, Statewide
* The Special Education shortage area designation comprises Partially Sighted, Deaf/Hard of Hearing, Blind, and Comprehensive Special Education teaching endorsement codes.
** The Alliance District program is a unique and targeted investment in Connecticut’s 33 lowest-performing districts. Click here for a list of Alliance Districts.