Congress is working on a re-write to No Child Left Behind (NCLB) — the current iteration of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act. Educators know firsthand how important it is that a new version of the law allows students to learn rather than focus on high-stakes standardized tests.
This is an important moment for American education. As educators we must make sure Congress gets new legislation right.
- Sign an NEA petition to share a new vision for public education and show Congress that educators and voters are paying attention.
- Contact your members of Congress and tell them that ESEA must promote opportunity for all and time to learn. Call 866-331-7233 or email your representatives and ask them to focus on three core goals.
- Create a new generation accountability system that includes an “opportunity dashboard” to ensure all students receive a quality education.
- Reduce the amount of mandated standardized testing, and allow more time for students to learn and more time for teachers to teach.
- Ensure every student has a qualified educator who is empowered to lead.