Thanksgiving is a time for sharing stories and history for many families, and this year NPR’s StoryCorps wants to help students capture some of those stories. StoryCorps is working with teachers and middle and high school students across the country to preserve the voices and stories of an entire generation.
Open to everyone, The Great Thanksgiving Listen is a national assignment to engage people of all ages in the act of listening. It’s specially designed for students ages 13 and over and as part of a social studies, history, civics, government, journalism, or political science class.
The project will help students develop the following:
- Research, archiving, and planning skills
- Speaking skills that enable students to express ideas clearly and persuasively
- Listening skills that reflect increased comprehension, lead to critical analysis, and advance discussion
- An increased connectedness, to community and to school
- A deepened sense of social awareness, exhibited by appreciation of diversity and respect for others